Because this project is a bit above my skill level as far as assembly goes I’ll just be posting some pictures of Phil, Jason, and I assembling it. Phil really deserves all the credit. He did 95% of the work. It was built mostly out of an old oak shelf that a library was throwing out. The turning of the wheel (a Driving Force GT) sometimes makes it jump seeing as its just on there with pegs right now. I am very happy with how this came out. Its awesome. I’ll post some pictures of it disassembled soon as well.
During the planning phase of the wheel mount I drew up some plans making some measurements of my chair and estimating where I’d want things. I based the original plan on the Wheel Station 2, but what we made was eventually very different, and much nicer.
Here are my finished plans. For the chair I am using an Ikea Pello. It was cheap ($50), its comfortable, and doesn’t look like garbage.
Measuring some angles and stuff. We eventually went with 45 degree angles on the tops and bottoms of the support platform. Because the Pello sits back pretty far we needed to make sure that the wheel would be able to get close enough. 45 degrees ended up being just about perfect.
Here is Jason, pretending to do some work. He took all these sweet pictures, but did absolutely nothing other than that. don’t let this fool you.
The wood we used was from some old library shelves that were being dumped. Phil already had this thing, and it worked out perfectly. I think its like 2×2 inch oak? something like that.
Me screwing in the upper section of the wheel mount’s base. The arms fit into notches cut into the base.
Here is the base. the arms for the platform slide into those rhombus shaped holes. We’ll need some side supports so that they cant tip over.
Here it is pretty much finished. As you can see the side supports are on. Those little blocks of wood in the space are wedges and are removable. This makes it easy to disassemble and assures a nice tight fit.
That will do nicely!
Here is the finished assembly set up in my living room with my Driving Force GT attached. I had to cut down the platform supports about 2 inches to account for the chair’s flex when you sit in it. I had a slight problem with the top of the platform popping off of the pegs, but Phil suggested putting some velcro on it to keep it secure.